Wednesday, December 15, 2010

ART FROM THE ROAD: Experimenting with Bamboo Skewers and Super Glue

  
Ever since I left the familiar walls of my beloved studio space in search of the "American Dream" over a year ago, I have missed the aspect of "play," that I once fondly nurtured in my work by experimenting with new materials, and pushing the boundaries of their unique tendencies. I feel this is an important part of my process when physically creating art, and I feel that much of my sculptural work is inherently based off of this method of experimentation and play.
When I came across the photo's of this piece that was created while living in a back yard in Portland this summer, I thought it might be worth sharing with you lovely folks. It was created while living in one of the back yards that we were lucky enough to camp out in (thanks Nina, Sarah, Corey, and Erica!). I happened to come across some super cheap bamboo skewers at a local Japanese market down the street, and I decided they might be worth picking up and playing around with. Obviously, they are akin to much of my work with spaghetti and super glue.
We departed before I could really develop anything substantial, but more importantly, is that I was able to test the materials bonding potential in a fairly rough environment, get a sense of the aesthetics that might organically develop, and perhaps most importantly- have some fun.
Who knows where it goes from here...



 

No comments: