Saturday, July 10, 2010

"Waste Not Want Not" (mixed media/video)




As I look through my blog, I am realizing I need to be less wordy. I will do my best to bear my soul with you, while still being at least somewhat concise. Here goes...
In this repetitive, callus forming, performance-esque video piece, I took the simple line "Waste Not, Want Not," and I wrote each word, individually, taking up a whole sheet of paper per word. I naughtily went through quite a bit of paper in my repetitive action, in fact, I spent about twelve hours straight doing this, while also recording various shots for the video portion of the piece.
The video itself, wasn't as developed as some of my previous work, but I still wouldn't hesitate to share it with you, except... well... its a serious pain in my ass, that I am quite frankly, not up for. I'm a busy man.
I was still pretty pleased with the reactions I was getting from viewers. For some reason- probably how blatantly UN-marketable video art is- I decided to put a 50,000 dollar price tag on it, and even farther, a requirement that the buyer gives me a polaroid of them hugging me in front of the piece while smiling. The reactions to this were comical.
My favorite thing to do at gallery shows, is to conspicuously hang out near viewers, acting like I am just another gallery-goer, and listen to what they say about my work. After a moment or so, I usually shake my head in disgust, and tell them, "It's ridiculous what passes for art now a'days..." and wait for their response.
The professors in my head were all criticizing me, saying that making that move with the price, would certainly be compromising aspects of my own artwork, but, for some reason, I was compelled to do it anyway.
Ok, I'm done.











No comments: