Saturday, September 12, 2009

Installment #1 of "CELL PHONE PHOTO GALLERY" (curated by Joseph R. Reeves Esq.)




The "CELL PHONE PHOTO GALLERY," is an idea concocted by currator Joseph R. Reeves Esq. with the fueling notion behind it, to take any curratorial decisions based opon personal opinion in both aesthetic and professional senses- and throw them out with the trash! This is a gallery opportunity for the everyday american who ALMOST DEFINITELY has a phone with a camera on it (even my mom has one).
By relieving this curratorial power from the hands of the gallery, we can see for once, an honest show of photography that reveals not only what the average person wants to see in a gallery, but the converse agenda of contributers who expose photos annonymously in an unintentional effect of revealing exactly HOW ELSE camera phones are being used. No matter what variation of personal meaning the unknown 'artists' ACTUALLY have when contributing their photos, the actual treatment of these works in a serious gallery context- and among clusters of many many other cell phone photos- strangely transforms these beautiful, odd, humerous, and always interesting photographs into something you might find in a fine art photo show normally. This also leads to a beautiful and transformative reality for the everyday american, to understand that art is anything, and anywhere; and the term artist, is really just an umbrella term.
Another key aspect of this piece for me, is using the idea of curating as a medium almost. I littered my target areas with fliers that asked people to send their favorite cell phone photos to me, and I gave them my number and e mail to either send it via e mail, or simply by sending it directly to my phone. The ease of contributing to this photo show is what made it so successfull, I got about 150 submissions in 2 days!!!
I plan to continue putting fliers up around the united states as I travel for the next year, and hopefully, one year from now I will have a MASSIVE cell phone photo gallery showing that will take place. Ideas for a book of the ongoing collection are also in the works. E mail me with suggestions or contributions! WWW.JOEMAMMAXX23@yahoo.com.
Here are a few of the raw photos too!




No comments: